The American Academy of Audiology Foundation’s Empowering Students Scholarship of $5,000 will be awarded to six students who show exceptional promise as a clinical audiologist as evidenced by the student’s resume, letters of recommendation, and personal statement. This scholarship program is generously funded by Oticon, Inc. $30,000 in scholarship funds are available, and Oticon is designating up to $20,000 of these funds for Black students.
The Empowering Students Scholarships will be awarded only to fulltime graduate students in audiology (AuD, PhD, AuD/PhD) in good standing at a U.S. university during the 2022–2023 academic year. Each department may nominate one student for this scholarship.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to submit the following:
- Completed application (Attached)
- Resume/CV: Includes accomplishments in the following areas: clinical skills and experiences, and leadership and service activities as they relate to clinical work. Please include your grade point average, as well as the university’s grading scale (i.e., 3.5 with maximum possible of 4 or 3.9 with maximum possible of 5).
- Two letters of recommendation from clinical preceptors. Must address:
- how long the writer has known the applicant and the nature of the relationship with the applicant.
- the qualities, particularly with respect to patient-focused skills, that provided the basis for this candidate being nominated by the department.
- how the applicant’s clinical ability compares to other students whom the writer has known at the same stage of the clinical program.
- ability to apply academic coursework in clinical situations.
- Personal statement: Describe qualities you believe are characteristic of an outstanding audiologist and discuss your personal goals for becoming a future clinician. In addition, without violating patient confidentiality, describe a specific situation in which you feel that your patient-focused skills were particularly beneficial for your patient, and also reflect on ways in which your patient-focused skills in this situation could have been improved. (750 words maximum)